Tuesday, May 08, 2012

Tuesday Tome - My Prayer Book

Have you ever used a daily prayer book? Off and on over the last year or two, I've been using a little Lutheran prayer book (My Prayer Book) I bought for a quarter at an estate sale across the street from my house.

A newer version of the book is still available. It contains morning and evening prayers for each day of the month, and prayers for Christian living, including preparation for worship; family situations; vocations; national affairs; times of illness; and table prayers

Some of the prayers in this book are better than others, but I find all of them to have a worthwhile thought or two that lead me to pray in ways I may not have otherwise considered. It's like having a friend alongside me as it stimulates new ideas and new directions for prayer.

From the Tuesday morning prayer of Week 1:
May I trust in Thy promises and ask no more than Thou hast promised. In prosperity keep my humble; in adversity keep me strong; and at all times give me a deep devotion to duty and confident trust in Thy mercy, through our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. Amen

2 comments:

  1. Proving once again that prayers do not need to be Off The Cuff to be meaningful or Real.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dewey - It's not unlike the many times I've seen you use song lyrics in a communion meditation or during a prayer. Sometimes words that have been carefully crafted stick in the brain and heart where they mature and ferment into very personal and meaningful expressions of our own.

    ReplyDelete