Thursday, February 14, 2013

Thursday Thinking - Richard Twiss

Last week, the American church lost a treasure, Richard Twiss. He died on February 9 after suffering a heart attack while attending the National Prayer Breakfast in Washington DC.

Richard was a member of the Sicangu Lakota Oyate from the Rosebud Lakota Sioux Reservation in South Dakota, and was the Co-Founder and President of Wiconi International (Wee-choe'-nee is Lakota for "life"). Richard's vision was to "serve as a bridge builder and consultant, nationally and internationally, to develop understanding, respect and mutual appreciation for one another, especially among Native American/First Nations people."

I am a pastor who has spent his fifty-six years in the midwest, and I serve a church in Dakota County, Minnesota. And yet, I have somehow been blind to the story of Native Americans. It was not until last year, while reading The American Soul (Jacob Needleman), that I became acutely aware of just how ignorant and oblivious I was to who Native Americans are and what they have been through. Though I live in their native lands, I was suddenly struck with the realization that I knew virtually nothing about their traditions, values, beliefs.

I am trying to change that situation. I'm studying, reading, thinking, watching, and hoping to eventually find ways to connect with Native Americans. While I have been able to find a number of good resources for learning about their history and culture, Richard Twiss was the first and only voice I had, so far, been able to find who was helping me to think about Christianity from a Native American perspective. If you know of other resources I might find helpful, please let me know.

Please join me in praying for Richard's family as they grieve his passing, and pray for those who will be working to continue the important ministry of Wiconi International.



Books by Richard Twiss include:
One Church, Many Tribes : Following Jesus the Way God Made You
Rescuing Theology from the Cowboys
Dancing Our Prayers
Culture, Christ, and Kingdom

1 comment:

  1. I have had the pleasure of seeing Richard speak on several occasions. I'm saddened to hear of his death.

    ReplyDelete