Thursday, January 10, 2013

Thursday Thinking - Vulnerability and Belonging

In my current teaching series, RE:BIRTH, I am asserting that love is the precursor to faith. Before a person can understand or experience what Jesus called "being born again," there must be freedom and space for the "wind to blow wherever it pleases." I believe that in order for the Spirit ("the wind") to bring a person to the place of spiritual rebirth that questions must be nurtured, imaginations stirred, hearts touched, welcome extended, trust earned.

In my first sermon of the series (January 6 - "Belonging before Belief"), I spoke about how a church that wants to help people come to faith must first help people experience a sense of belonging. Belonging precedes belief. Before we Christians try to influence people, we must first be sure to identify with them.

It's worth noting that the importance of belonging is not just something for people new to our church community. It's something much more than being friendly to new people. For true community to grow and mature, we must continually foster the sense of belonging, relationship, and connection. Some people have been going to church for a long time, and yet feel very little connection. They do not feel known, heard, loved, or accepted. Spiritual growth cannot take place in isolation, and disconnection, therefore, is a barrier to not only spiritual belief but also to spiritual maturity. Christian community is the crucible for faith and faithfulness.

During my sermon last Sunday, I referenced a very popular TED Talk video by social researcher Brene Brown. The talk is called "The Power of Vulnerability" and it has been viewed over 7,000,000 times. If you haven't yet seen it, I highly recommend that you take the time to do so. In her talk, Professor Brown makes the case for how shame undermines belonging and why vulnerability and connection are vital to wellness and being. I've posted the video on this blog before, but I'm posting it again today as a reminder and a help to those of you who may want to check it out.

Next Sunday at Valley (January 13), I'll be presenting "Relationship before Religion" (John 4:7-10), Part 2 of my RE:BIRTH teaching series.

No comments:

Post a Comment