Wednesday, December 31, 2008

2008 Movie Wrap-Up

I thought I'd mention some of the movies I watched--most of which I never blogged about.

The Visitor [PG-13]
◊ ◊ ◊ ◊ 5/5
Blogged about it. Great movie. Highly recommend it.

Killer of Sheep [NR] (I'd rate it PG)
◊ ◊ ◊ • • 3/5
Amazing footage. The making and release of this movie is a better story than the movie itself. Interesting and worth seeing for historical reasons.

August Rush [PG]
• • • • • 0/5
If I can't say something nice, I shouldn't say anything. Robin Williams was just one of the many awful things about this movie.

4 Months, 3 Weeks, and 2 Days [NR] (I'd rate it R)
◊ ◊ ◊ • • 3/5
Tremendous acting and cinematography. The character development is complex and provoking. Unbearably stark and depressing in it's graphic portrayal of an illegal abortion in communist Romania. I don't recommend it unless you're up for looking darkness and cold despair in the eye.

The Diving Bell and the Butterfly [PG-13]
◊ ◊ ◊ • • 3/5
Interesting story, but the character development was not very compelling. The most creative thing about the movie was the director's decision to give the audience the main character's one-eyed view of the world. It's worth seeing if you like artsy fartsy movies.

The Exorcism of Emily Rose [NR] (I'd rate it R)
◊ ◊ • • • 2/5
More of a Hollywood horror movie than a real exploration of the subject. It didn't seem like the director knew if he was trying to scare the audience or tell them a serious story, and so he did neither very well. I'd say he came out more on the horror side of things. I wouldn't recommend it.

The Kite Runner [PG-13]
◊ ◊ ◊ ◊ 5/5
I thought this movie was pretty good. I have not read the book, but my wife has, and she liked the movie too. She thought that a few elements of the plot worked better in the movie than in the book. I'd recommend seeing this one.

Superbad [R]
• • • • • 0/5
The name says it all. I was interested in this movie because of some of the reviews I heard about it, but I found it to be unbearable and pushed the eject button within the first ten minutes.

Juno [PG-13]
◊ ◊ ◊ ◊ 5/5
A quirky, smart, and surprisingly thoughtful little movie. Good performances from all the cast. Jason Bateman was especially impressive. The writer's approach to a tough topic seemed honest and without agenda. This movie is thought provoking and a good conversation starter. It's worth watching.

Sideways [R]
• • • • 1/5
Sad, hopeless, and juvenile. Paul Giamatti is great at playing depressed and pathetic characters like the one he plays in this movie. Unfortunately, the movie is even more depressing and pathetic. I can't really think of anything I liked about this movie. Don't waste your time with it.

Atonement [R]
◊ ◊ ◊ ◊ 5/5
This movie seemed a little too long, but the plot is very strong and satisfying. The acting and direction was great. I especially liked James McAvoy's performance. Toward the end of the movie there is an amazing extended continuous single camera shot (no edits) of the wartime scene along the beach of Dunkirk. The musical soundtrack was brilliant. If you like dramatic narrative, this is a good one to see.

Dogma [R]
◊ ◊ • • • 2/5
Interesting, careless, and pretty dumb. Mostly dumb.
Not worth seeing.

In Bruges [R]
◊ ◊ ◊ • • 3/5
Dark comedy. Great story. Wonderful acting. Some VERY unnecessary scenes. Excessively profane language and graphic violence. The canal tour of Bruges in the DVD bonus materials was unbelievably beautiful. Made me want to visit Bruges.

Lars and the Real Girl [PG-13]
◊ ◊ ◊ ◊ 5/5
One of my favorite movies of the year. It's very whimsical yet profound. The acting is wonderful. It takes an over-the-top approach to explore the meaning of being real and being human. I like it so much, I bought it!

No Country for Old Men [R]
◊ ◊ ◊ ◊ 4/5
Very dark and existential. Like most Coen Brothers movies, it wrestles with big ideas: meaning, purpose, ethics, and being human. I didn't think Woody Harrelson was a good choice for his part. He did a decent job of acting, he was just too noticeable. I would have preferred someone less recognizeable in that part. Javier Bardem's performance was chilling. This one's not for everyone, but worth seeing if you can stomach the coldblooded violence. My favorite scene was the interaction between the killer and the old man at the gas station.

The Fountain [R]
◊ ◊ • • • 2/5
I found this movie to be interesting but confusing. Look it up online and read the description of the plot and you'll understand why. Though it was visually appealing and well-acted, I just couldn't make sense of it. I stuck with it all the way in hopes that it would eventually become clear, but in the end I was still confused. The musical soundtrack was terrible. Don't watch it unless you have someone who can explain it to you. :-)

Raising Arizona [R]
◊ ◊ ◊ ◊ 4/5
Funny and dumb. Very entertaining. I finally got around to watching it. Maybe you will too someday.

There Will Be Blood [R]
◊ ◊ ◊ ◊ 4/5
Fantastic acting. Great story. Very violent. Powerful and sad. Makes me want to read the book it was based upon (Oil by Upton Sinclair). I loved the soundtrack and wish that the final scene would have used the same music as the opening scene.

Amazing Grace [PG]
◊ ◊ ◊ ◊ 4/5
A fine little movie worth watching. The story of William Wilberforce and his efforts to end the slave trade is very inspiring.

Into the Wild [R]
◊ ◊ ◊ ◊ 4/5
A sad story of a young man with a fiercely independent spirit. The story ends in tragedy. For me, Hal Holbrook was the star of this movie. It's worth watching just for his performance.

Deep Water [R]
◊ ◊ ◊ ◊ 5/5
A wonderful documentary about Daniel Crowhursts failed attempt to circumnavigate the globe non-stop in a solo yacht race. There is much to learn here about human nature, leadership, and personal achievement. I highly recommend it.

The Bourne Ultimatum [PG-13]
◊ ◊ ◊ ◊ 5/5
I have really enjoyed all of these Bourne movies.

Elizabeth: The Golden Age [PG-13]
◊ ◊ ◊ ◊ 5/5
A beautiful movie. A fantastic sequel.

Mystic River [R]
◊ ◊ ◊ • • 3/5
A fine movie, but seemed predictable to me.

Elizabeth
◊ ◊ ◊ ◊ 5/5
A great movie.

The Namesake [PG-13]
◊ ◊ ◊ ◊ 4/5
A beautiful story that explores the human experience across vastly different cultures. Some weak spots in the acting, but the story carries the day. It's worth watching.

Leonard Cohen: I'm Your Man [PG-13]
◊ ◊ • • • 2/5
Leonard Cohen is an interesting man with a lot of great songs. Though it has some good moments, this documentary was pretty cheesy. I hated some of the performances.

Across the Universe [PG-13]
• • • • 1/5
Some of my best friends liked this movie. I like the Beatles too much to like this movie. I still like my friends.

Once [R]
◊ ◊ ◊ ◊ 4/5
A wonderful little movie with a nice story and some good music. I'd recommend it.