Monday, January 12, 2009

SPCO Weekend

Saturday, January 10, I was able to take my grandsons to a St. Paul Chamber Orchestra woodwind concert at the Ordway Center. The concert was a music appreciation event for kids, and they performed Mozart's Serenade for 13 Winds, Gran Partita. There was even an actor in full costume playing the part of Mozart. We had a great time.

On Sunday, January 11, my wife and I saw the Chamber Orchestra of Europe under the direction of Douglas Boyd performing at the Benson Great Hall at Bethel University. The program included: Shostakovich Prelude and Scherzo for Strings, Shostakovich Chamber Symphony, Op. 110a (arranged from String Quartet No. 8), and Tchaikovsky Souvenir de Florence for String Orchestra.

During the intermission all the chairs were removed from the stage, and then risers with chairs brought in for the four cellists. With the exception of the cellos, the orchestra performed the Tchaikovsky piece while standing. I thought this was brilliant as it allowed the players to really throw themselves into to piece. I think in greatly enhanced the intensity and feeling of their performance. It was wonderful.

The SPCO is a fantastic organization. I have enjoyed every one of the concerts I've attended in the last two years.