Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Beethoven and George Who?

I'm not sure who thought it was a good idea to sandwich George Benjamin's First Light between Beethoven's piano concertos number 1 and 2, but I think they were wrong. The juxtaposition of pieces written two-hundred years apart from each other was a real shock to the system. Maybe that was the intention.

The effect of the shock on me was that I spent the entire intermission pondering the devolution of music and culture. The concerto that closed the program only served to confirm the negative thoughts I had been thinking about the Benjamin piece during intermission.

The orchestra did a splendid job performing First Light, but I wondered if it was worth their energy and, more than that, if anybody really cared. I know, I know, I'm turning into a curmudgeon about early twentieth-century music. I guess I'm just getting sick of pretending it's interesting. I listen and give it every consideration, but I really want to shout out "The emperor has no clothes!"

On a positive note, Aimard did a wonderful job conducting and playing piano. I also noticed that the members of The Parker Quartet were playing with the orchestra, which made me wonder when and if they'll be performing in the area any time soon. I'll have to check out their website.

One more thing, the Benson Great Hall is a fantastic venue, BUT they've got to do a better job with not seating people once the concert begins. Late comers at the start of the concert, and stragglers after intermission just about ruined the concert for me.

Bottom line, I love the St. Paul Chamber Orchestra, and you should too.

◊ ◊ ◊ ◊ 4/5

St Paul Chamber Orchestra
Sunday, Feb. 15, 2009 at Benson Great Hall (Bethel University)
Pierre-Laurent Aimard, conductor and piano

Beethoven
Concerto No. 2 in B-flat for Piano and Orchestra, Op. 19
Benjamin
At First Light for Chamber Orchestra of Fourteen Players
Beethoven
Concerto No. 1 in C for Piano and Orchestra, Op. 15