Monday, April 16, 2012

Monday Movie - Forks Over Knives

In recent weeks I've told you about the book, Eat to Live, by Dr. Joel Fuhrman. I found it to be a very helpful, enjoyable, and motivational. While reading it, I made a decision to change my whole approach to food. Already, within just three or four weeks I'm seeing some very good results.

I was talking about the book with a friend and she told me to watch the documentary, Forks Over Knives. It's available on the Netflix instant streaming list, so I was able to watch it right away. Wow, what an eye opener! It presents a radical challenge to the typical western diet, but, as Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn wryly observes, it's not as radical as having your chest opened up for bypass surgery.

The movie is so full of statistics and information that it's hard to take it all in. I'll probably watch it again with my wife. Forks Over Knives made me even more convinced that the changes I've made will lead to a healthier and happier life.

I want to say a big thank-you to my Valley Christian Church friends who are part of the Weigh & Pray group that meets on Wednesday nights. It's been great to have the encouragement and to experience the team spirit as we all strive to be better stewards of our bodies. Thanks, also, to my friends Ted T., Mark H., and David H. who are all cheering me on toward realistic nutrition and exercise goals.

2 comments:

  1. I am going to watch this Dave. I need a boost of rejuvenation in diet and exercise ideas every once in a while (including now) and I always look around for documentaries, news clips, or other media for some good factual underpinnings and testimony to what I need to do with diet, achieve, and why. In my line of work, hypertension, and diabetes in particular, can be absolutely disqualifying, and career-ending.

    Like I mentioned to you this past weekend, portion control, plenty of salad, and an appreciable uptick in exercise helped me shed around 30 lbs a few years ago. Sarah and I have become very keen on the ills of processed foods as well, and it was part of our reasoning to plant the veggie garden last year with the kids. I don't think you could convince me to give up meat and fish, but I am well convinced that they need to be kept in moderation.

    I have become a huge fan of chef Jaime Oliver who (1) teaches and promotes "kitchen gardening" so people are growing and creating their own fresh food, (2) has used his celebrity status and fortune to expose the sickening food being fed our kids in school cafeterias, promoting healthy diets, and campaigning for change ("pink slime" was introduced to the public consciousness via his show "Food Revolution", which chronicled the absolutely bizarre resistance he received from the LA United School District for his attempts to convert their school lunch program), and (3) has wonderful, easy, tasty, and HEALTHY recipes.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kris- I'm not giving up meat, fish, or dairy completely. Here's what I'm doing: DAIRY - pretty much consists of small quantities of fat free yogurt or cottage cheese. MEAT - pretty much avoid it. Avoid all animal fat. FRIED - avoid completely. OIL - only the slightest amount needed for sautéing veggies. Unlimited amounts of veggies and fruits.

    We'll see what happens. So far my cholesterol, blood pressure, and scale numbers have been super encouraging.

    I'm also walking at least 1 mile a day. Usually 2 and occasionally 3 or more. If time or weather is a factor, I use my eliptical machine.

    ReplyDelete