Thursday, September 11, 2014

Thursday Thinking - About Friendship

I'm starting a new teaching series on Sunday about belonging, community, and friendship. Throughout the series, I want to be as practical as possible. Yes, I want to include the theology and biblical precedent of community and relationships, but I want to devote a lot of time to the basic nitty-gritty how-tos of friendship in action. Friendship, like faith, without works is dead.

A recent post on Donald Miller's blog by Shauna Niequist has some very good reflections on active and communicative friendship. Let me give you some excerpts in the hope that you will be encouraged to read the whole post. Read it, think about it, and then do something!

...It doesn’t matter how you feel in your heart about your friends—what matters is showing those feelings through words and actions.
- - -
It’s so easy for me to feel warm, loving thoughts about friends or family members… and then go on about my day, never reaching out, sending a text, or setting a date to connect. 
- - -
The things we feel about one another so often go unexpressed, because we’re busy or thoughtless, assuming they know, assuming it’s more than clear.

READ THE ENTIRE POST @ DONALD MILLER'S BLOG



No comments:

Post a Comment