Friday, April 16, 2010

Books: The Jesus Creed

The Jesus Creed
Scot McKnight

40 Days Living the Jesus Creed
Scot McKnight

During Lent and Easter this year I preached a series of sermons I called The Jesus Way. The whole series of sermons was based, just as McKnight's books are, upon two short passages of scripture: The Jesus Creed (Mark 12:29-31) and The Jesus Prayer (Matthew 6:9-13).

I encouraged people in our church to use McKnight's 40 Days of Living the Jesus Creed as a Lenten devotional guide. We also made The Jesus Creed available for purchase in our resource center.

You can only teach so much in weekly 30-40 minute sermons. That's why I frequently package my sermon series in ways that encourage people to read good books. I try to write and preach sermons that cover the same topics and themes as the books, but with a different approach. The intent is for the preaching I do and the reading I encourage to serve as good companions. I hope that my sermon series will enhance the reading of the books, and that the reading of the books will in turn help people get more from my sermon series.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous5:46 PM

    Dave,
    I thoroughly enjoyed Jesus Creed. It was simple yet the ideas contained within were profoundly moving. Great guidebook for a walk with Jesus.

    ReplyDelete