Tuesday, January 04, 2011

2010 Book Wrap-Up, Part 1

I have neither the time nor the inclination to blog about every book I read, but I thought I'd at least mention a number of books I've read in 2010 before retiring them to the shelf.

Flesh & Blood Jesus: Learning to Be Fully Human from the Son of Man
Dan Russ
I really enjoyed this book. It was released in 2008 and appears to no longer be in print. That's too bad, because it's very practical, creative, and pastoral. I stumbled across the title while I was preaching my Advent/Christmas sermon series, Flesh & Blood: Why Would God Become One of Us. I got my copy for only $1.50 on Amazon.

The Trouble With Poetry
Billy Collins
A poem by Billy Collins goes great with my morning cup of coffee. Such a creative and fun poet.

In Search of God and Guiness
Stephen Mansfield
A fascinating history of the Guinness family and the charitable initiatives that accompanied the the growth of their company. I wish Mansfield would do a similar book about the Cadbury chocolate dynasty.

Deep Church: A Third Way Beyond Emerging and Traditional
Jim Belcher
A good read for those of us who are post-evangelical, but struggle to not let all doctrine get thrown out with the modernist bathwater.

Empty Cradle, Broken Heart
Deborah l. Davis
A very helpful book I would recommend to anyone who is surviving the the death of their baby.

How (Not) to Speak of God

Peter Rollins
This book explores a postmodern approach to faith that has resonated with many in the Emerging Church Movement (or non-movement as the case may be). Interestingly, it echoes some of the via negativa approach of the ancient Eastern church fathers. In addition reading this book, I was able to hear Rollins speak at a conference in Washington D.C. last Spring.

The Only Necessary Thing
Henri J. M. Nouwen
A collection of contemplative meditations arranged by topic. My wife enjoyed reading these to each other at our morning coffee times.

Sway: The Irresistible Pull of Irrational Behavior
Ori Brafman & Rom Brafman
In this fun and easy read, the Brafmans explore the ways humans short-circuit their own ability to think clearly and make sound decisions. They illustrate their points with loads of great examples and anecdotes.

Sum: Forty Tales from the Afterlives
David Eagleman
What happens when a neuroscientist happens to be a very creative writer? You come up with all kinds of alternate realities. I heard about this book on the RadioLab podcast (WNYC) and immediately ordered the book. I was NOT disappointed. If you enjoy an occasional trip down the rabbit hole, you'll like this.