Thursday, January 13, 2011

Not Hard to Love Bazan

I love singer songwriters, and occasionally try to be one, because I love words and music. Mostly I love the words, but if you can add music that serves to elevate and enhance the words, then so much the better.

One of the saddest and most beautifully written lyrics of 2010 is Dave Bazan's "Hard to Be." The entire Curse Your Branches project is a masterpiece of words and music. Bazan weaves the wrestlings and woes of his faith journey into songs of brutal honesty and confession.

I grieve the darkness post-moderns endure as thoughtful criticism forces them to turn away from the simplistic theologisms of contemporary churchianity, but I embrace their courage and honesty. I also hope and pray they are able to find a Christianity worth believing. That includes praying that one day I'll get to hear some new Bazan lyrics from that point of view.

No comments:

Post a Comment