Thursday, June 07, 2012

Thursday Thinking - About Grammar

When I was a graduate student at the University of Nebraska back in the mid-80s, I was excoriated by one of my professors for using the word "hopefully" in the preface of a term paper. He summarily explained to me that this word should never be used in an academic paper, and it was a poor word to use in any case because I wasn't truly hoping for anything.

The professor, as you know, is always right (at least before graduation requirements have been met), so I complied. Ever since that scolding, however, I must admit that each and every time I have written "hopefully" in a letter or paper, I've heard his rebuke echoing in the back of my mind.

What a relief and vindication it was, this week, to have the AP style book remove its objection to the word. Linguist, Geoff Nunberg, had a wonderful op-ed piece on Fresh Air this week. You can read it or listen to it HERE.


BONUS MATERIAL:
My friend, Dewey Roth, had a fun post on his "Truth Is..." blog about ending sentences with prepositions. Read It Here.  To be granted both these grammatical freedoms in one week is too sweet for words.

2 comments:

  1. The APA stylebook (not the AP stylebook, like in the pic above) is, without a doubt, evil incarnate. Sarah has to abide by it for even simple ONLINE RESPONSES for her coursework. It has to be one of the hardest books to use. Ever. You would think that a book written to aid people in writing academically with clarity would be more user friendly. It's not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the shout-out. Timing was interesting. I'm awake!

    ReplyDelete