Thursday, August 16, 2012

Thursday Thinking - End Times

In my sermon last Sunday, I included several texts from the New Testament book of Revelation. This has prompted a few people to ask me what I believe about eschatology and what Valley Christian Church's position is on things like tribulation, the millenium, and the second coming.

On many occasions, I have avoided a lengthy and potentially divisive conversation by claiming humorously to be a"promillenialist"-- meaning whatever happens, I'm for it.

I certainly think the subject is beyond my understanding, and I wouldn't want to claim my views are anything more than honest opinion. On the other hand, my opinions do shape my thinking, my living, and my teaching, so I think people deserve more than a humorous deflection from me.

“Apart from biblical inerrancy no doctrine has caused greater division in evangelical Christianity in the present day than the millennium.  Though the biblical references to a millennial kingdom are minimal, they have given rise to elaborate theologies based on the reality of such a kingdom.  Because the millennial hope has been a source of inspiration to Christians throughout the history of the church, impelling many toward a missionary vocation, it merits serious consideration.” 
Donald Bloesch, Essentials of Evangelical Theology (New York: Harper & Row, 1978), II: 189.

Just yesterday, a woman who has been attending our church for a few months asked me to clarify my eschatological perspectives and beliefs. I think she has enjoyed our church, but I was a little hesitant to answer her questions because I'm quite sure she will not agree with me on these subjects. I'm trusting she will receive my answers (which I think are apt to disappoint her) with the same grace she asked her questions. In any case, I have decided her straightforward questions deserve a straightforward response.

So here is my response to her--
Dear Friend, thank you for your questions about the rapture, tribulation, and millenium.

Let me start by saying I do not think a person's millennial view is something that should be used as a test of their faith or salvation. Christians have held a wide variety of opinions and beliefs about these subjects throughout history. I think the ambiguities and gaps of Scripture on these subjects explain this wide spectrum of Christian perspectives.

You should know that Valley Christian Church does NOT have a specific millennial perspective it sanctions above all others or requires its members to believe. The Christian Churches and Churches of Christ (Valley's church history heritage) do tend to be amillennial in their perspective, though not dogmatically so. Part of our shared Restoration Movement heritage is valuing freedom in matters of opinion --"In essentials unity, in opinions liberty, in all things love."

Personally speaking, I lean toward amillenialism, partial preterism, and renewed earth eschatology. These perspectives make the most sense to me both historically and biblically. These perspectives also have a long and vibrant life throughout church history and are held, to some degree, by the many of the biblical scholars I respect most.

I've read the Bible many times and just cannot imagine coming to a dispensational-premillennial view on my own from simply reading the Bible. To me, it seems contrived and does not emerge from the text proper. The type of premillenialism prevalent in America today is also very late on the scene in Christian theology. It is troublesome to me that most of the people I know who hold this view came to it by reading books about the Bible, NOT from their own reading of the Bible itself. They seem to read the Bible through a dispensational-premillenial lens they have learned, rather than arriving at their view by reading the Bible.

Like I said, Valley Christian doesn't take a rigid position on this issue. Our statement of faith says that we believe Christ "will come to judge the living and the dead and his kingdom will have no end." It also says that "we look for the resurrection of the dead and the life of the world to come." Those statements transcend millennial views.
Back to my personal perspectives, I'd recommend the following books to get a better picture of what makes sense to me.

The Throne, the Lamb, and the Dragon: A Reader's Guide to the Book of Revelation (Spilsbury)

A Case fo Amillenisalism: Understanding the End Times (Riddlebarger)

Surprised by Hope: Rethinking Heaven, the Resurrection, and the Mission of the Church (Wright)

Revelation for Everyone Commentary (Wright)

2 comments:

  1. That dispensational-premillenial lens that has been learned by our society also gets re-framed as simply a redirect of evangelism. Best example is the Christian fiction "Left Behind" series by LaHaye and Jenkins, which is an apocalyptic series that launches with the rapture (hence the title) and then follows a band of believers who are trying to "save" as many people as they can to believe in Christ before final judgement comes. In response to tons of criticism on their interpretation of scripture, and the elaboration and use of story elements that are clearly non-scripture based, the authors, publisher, promoters, and fan response has been, "Yeah, but we are bringing people to Christ nonetheless."

    That is great that people are finding Jesus. However, I dislike the notion of "beam me up" theology that attracts people. I am not interested in sharing the gospel in such a way that people think they simply believe and get a golden ticket for the rapture. I am interested in sharing the good news in a way that attracts people to dig into the work that needs to be done here on earth today, in the now, and finding their salvation with Christ in that work.

    "Make the world a better place" isn't a secular idea. It is God's idea. And to project an image of God's wrath, the "antichrist", and the destruction of the original creation, as it was done in the "Left Behind" series doesn't seem to promote that idea. And the dualistic nature of ignoring our broken world because a new day is coming where we get taken instantly to paradise shirks our responsibility to live as Jesus taught us to.

    I got turned off by Left Behind in the middle of the third book, btw.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice indeed. Well-stated. My hope is that folks can be satisfied with not having a dogmatic view of eschatology...since the Bible doesn't have one.

    ReplyDelete