Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Tuesday Tome - Washed and Waiting

I'm working my way through a long list of books on the topic of homosexuality, human sexuality, and Christianity. Thorough and thoughtful study on this subject is a challenging and demanding task, and one that is especially important for my work as a pastor. I'm enjoying the study and I am enjoying the many real life conversations I'm having these days with people who come from diverse and sometimes conflicting perspectives.

Just yesterday, I completed a wonderful little gem of a book by Wesley Hill entitled, Washed and Waiting: Reflections on Christian Faithfulness and Homosexuality. Hill is a Christian who self-identifies as gay, but celibate. Hill shares his own very personal and confessional view on what it means to follow Christ, to pursue holiness, and to be defined by his faith rather than his sexual inclinations. He tells his own story with great candor and shares the inspiration he has gained from others, such as Henri Nouwen and Gerard Manley Hopkins, who have struggled similarly to reconcile their religious beliefs with their same-sex attraction.

I highly recommend the book. It is much more than a book about homosexuality. It is a book about human sexuality in the context of faith, submission, and spiritual formation. In that regard, it offers much to think about for everyone, regardless of sexual orientation.

Click Here for More Info

No comments:

Post a Comment