Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Tuesday Tome - Prayer Books

Have you ever used a daily prayer book? I have a number of these books and one I've been using for awhile is a little Lutheran prayer book I bought for a quarter at an estate sale across the street from my house a couple years ago. It is titled simply, My Prayer Book.

A newer version of the book is still available. It contains morning and evening prayers for each day of the month, and prayers for Christian living, including preparation for worship; family situations; vocations; national affairs; times of illness; and table prayers. It's also written in more contemporary language and grammar.

Some of the prayers in this book are better than others, but I find all of them to have a worthwhile thought or two that lead me to pray in ways I may not have otherwise considered. It's like having a friend alongside me as it stimulates new ideas and new directions for prayer.

Do you have any prayer books you have found to be helpful? I'd like to hear about them.
Here are a few lines from the Tuesday morning prayer of Week 1:
May I trust in Thy promises and ask no more than Thou hast promised. In prosperity keep my humble; in adversity keep me strong; and at all times give me a deep devotion to duty and confident trust in Thy mercy, through our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. Amen.

1 comment:

  1. I'm almost done with Brennan Manning's "The Signature of Jesus." While it's not a prayer book, the chapter I just finished had some things to say about prayer, including "If you pray for humility, be careful. Humility is learned through humiliations."

    ReplyDelete