Thursday, April 11, 2013

Thursday Thinking - Reflecting on Resurrection

Easter is more than a Sunday, it's a season of seven Sundays! I've decided to celebrate the Easter Season by posting something thoughtful about resurrection every week until Pentecost Sunday.

Probably one of the most important books on Resurrection I know of, is N. T. Wright's The Resurrection of the Son of God. It's epic in size (740 pages) and is Volume 3 of his magnum opus, Christian Origins and the Question of God. I'll be sharing a lot from him in the weeks to come.

I believe that the resurrection of Jesus is much more than a metaphor. If I didn't believe Jesus had risen from the dead, I would certainly not be the Christian I am. Maybe I would be some sort of "cultural christian" who values my heritage, is interested in religious ideas, and is trying to figure out some way to salvage meaning from my faith and looking to Jesus as some sort of good teacher and example. Maybe, but probably not.

If Christ has not been raised from the dead, then I don't see the point of Christianity (1 Corinthians 15:14). If the same spirit that raised Christ from the dead does not have any power for my mortal body (Romans 8:11), then I don't see how I can ever hope to experience transformation or overcome the things that are killing me and my world. Jesus and Christianity might be interesting, but they wouldn't be a source of hope or life for me. How about you?

Let's get things started with a couple of short videos from N. T. Wright.



1 comment:

  1. You rock. I wish I had seen this post before last night, we would have discussed...my blog reading has suffered from the simulator schedule this week. Looking forward to the future posts on resurrection!

    ReplyDelete