Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Wednesday Words - How Deep the Father's Love

On Easter Sunday, I finished the last sermon in my Never Forsaken teaching series at Valley Christian Church. One of the songs at our Good Friday service was "How Deep the Father's Love," by Stuart Townend.

Throughout my teaching series, I made a direct reference to Psalm 22. I believe Jesus quoted that Psalm as a statement of faith, and I reject the commonly held notion that he was forsaken by God on the cross. Quite the opposite! I believe he endured the cross by his unwavering faith in God's faithfulness and the strength of God's grace (Hebrews 12:1-3).

With Psalm 22 and the "Never Forsaken" theme in mind, I replaced one of the lines in Townend's first verse, and then wrote a few additional verses. The congregation sang this version as we participated in communion and nailed red ribbons to a large cross. The cross was then hoisted above the stage with a black cloth draped around the arms.

HOW DEEP THE FATHER'S LOVE
How deep the Father's love for us,
How vast beyond all measure
That He should give His only Son
To make a wretch His treasure
    How great the pain of searing loss,
    The Father’s love in Christ displayed,
    As wounds which mar the chosen One,
    Bring many sons to glory

Behold the Man upon a cross,
My sin upon His shoulders
Ashamed I hear my mocking voice,
Call out among the scoffers
    It was my sin that held Him there
    Until it was accomplished
    His dying breath has brought me life
    I know that it is finished

Too often I’ve forsaken Him,
Too many times to measure,
But he has not forsaken me,
His love endures forever.
 
    When I to him my sins confess, 
    My just and faithful Savior, 
    Will cleanse me from unrighteousness-- 
    Forgives my sin and failure.
 

My God, my God, I lift my voice,
Believing you will hear me.
Though I have sinned and turned away,
By grace, you still draw near me.
    No heights, no depths, no powers, no sword,
    Could ever separate me
    From love that is in Christ my Lord--
    Redeeming love that saves me.
 

And I will yet declare your praise,
Among the congregation,
Your Saving Grace will be the song
Of every generation--
    You bore the cross and scorned its shame, 
    You fought the fight and won it--
    The Crucified has conquered death,
    “Our faithful God has done it!”


I will not boast in anything
No gifts, no power, no wisdom
But I will boast in Jesus Christ
His death and resurrection
    Why should I gain from His reward?
    I cannot give an answer
    But this I know with all my heart
    His wounds have paid my ransom.

    Coda:
    For those who are in Christ the Lord,
    There is no condemnation--
    Our God is faithful to his Word,
    We’ll never be forsaken.

    Our God is faithful to his Word,
    We’ll never be forsaken.


“How Deep the Father’s Love,” Words [Vv.1, 2, 6] and Music by Stuart Townend, © 1995 Kingsway's Thankyou Music. [Words for Alternate Line v. 1, vv. 3, 4, 5 and Coda by Dave Burkum, © Copyright 2013 by D. Burkum.]

2 comments:

  1. FYI...the name is Townend...no S

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops... Thanks for the correction, Dewey. Fixed it in the post. Apologies to Mr. Townend.

    ReplyDelete