Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Wednesday Words - In Autumn


What affection I have for the earth,
for the meadow already gone to golden,

for the burnt-orange reeds of the cattails,
and the maple leaves etched in yellow

against a pale blue sky, and the black trunk,
and the black branches, and the small black twigs.

In the morning, I remember how much
I love the colors of the sky before

the sun rises, not any one day
the same, changed by the haze in the valley,

the ridges of clouds riding high and white.
In the evening I return––as the light

is caught on the horizon––a glow
of opulence through the soldiering corn.

"In Autumn" by Joyce Sutphen, from First Words.
© Copyright 2010 by Joyce Sutphen.

• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •
I can't tell you how much I love this collection of poems. If you enjoyed the poem above, you MUST buy this book. Poem after poem, Sutphen adroitly weaves memory, introspection, heart, mind, past and present. First Words by Joyce Sutphen is beautifully written and has become one of the treasures in my personal library.

SEE MORE ON AMAZON.COM

No comments:

Post a Comment