Monday, May 22, 2017

Monday Music - Sam Amidon

Two Fridays ago, my wife and I enjoyed a terrific concert by the St. Paul Chamber Orchestra. One of the features of the concert was the music of Sam Amidon. Raised in Vermont by folk-musician parents, Amidon sings and plays fiddle, banjo, and guitar. On several pieces he was accompanied by Pekka Kuusisto who added some beautiful texture and ambient sounds with an electric fiddle and a variety of effects pedals. There was also a string orchestration for one of the Amidon songs. All in all it was a creative blending of classical and folk music. Here is a video of Sam Amidon performing "Your Lone Journey" by Doc Watson's wife Rosa Lee Watson.

https://youtu.be/ZvhrZibqG-Q
CLICK HERE OR ON THE IMAGE TO LISTEN

God’s given us years of happiness here
Now we must part
And as the angels come and call for you
The pangs of grief tug at my heart

   Oh my darling my darling
   My heart breaks as you take
   Your lone journey

Oh the days will be empty the nights so long
Without you my love
And as God calls for you I’m left alone
But we will meet in heaven above

Fond memories I’ll keep of the happy days
That on earth we trod
And when I come we will walk hand in hand
As one in heaven in the family of God

No comments:

Post a Comment