Thursday, May 25, 2017

Thursday Thinking - Rejoicing through Messianic Woes


To follow Christ is to share in his mission and the woes that come with living out and bringing the Kingdom into the here and now. Thanks to Richard Beck for posting this...

SUFFERING TO GIVE BIRTH TO A NEW WORLD
by Richard Beck  |  Experimental Theology Blog, May 23, 2017

Last summer our bible class at church was working through the book of Colossians.| In one of the classes I was teaching we came to this puzzling text:
Colossians 1.24
Now I rejoice in my sufferings for your sake, and in my flesh I am filling up what is lacking in Christ's afflictions for the sake of his body, that is, the church.
What does Paul mean when he says that he is "filling up what is lacking" in Christ's afflictions? We tend to assume that Jesus' sacrifice on the cross was sufficient, lacking in nothing.

So what's Paul talking about?

CLICK HERE TO KEEP READING (5 MINUTES)

No comments:

Post a Comment