Friday, March 11, 2011

The Trouble (and Blessing) of Lent

I first started observing Ash Wednesday and Lent during the years I served as the Campus Pastor for Christian Student Fellowship at the University of Minnesota. The CSF ministry center was just blocks away from Luther Seminary. I would occasionally go over to the Chapel of the Incarnation over on the Luther campus to take in Wednesday morning worship.

David Lose, faculty member of Luther Seminary, has written a nice article on the meaning and benefits of Lent. If you've never observed Lent, or if your experience of Lent has been some sort of empty ritual, you may find his essay helpful.

"I need Lent, finally, to remind me of who I am -- God's heir and Christ's co-heir -- so that, come Easter, I can rejoice and celebrate with all the joy, all the revelry, all the anticipation, of a true heir to the throne." Read the Complete Essay

No comments:

Post a Comment