Thursday, May 10, 2012

Thursday Thinking - Are You a Leader?

In recent months, I've been enjoying Michael Hyatt's blog and podcasts. Several weeks ago, on his Intentional Leadership Blog, he posted a list of leadership indicators. If these indicators describe you, it's likely you are already filling leadership roles at work, at church, and in your community. If not, you should be.

Maybe you are filling leadership roles, but don't feel like a leader. Or maybe leadership is something to which you aspire. In any case, it's important to remember that leadership qualities are more than the result of innate ability or natural giftedness. Personal ability and predisposition are extremely helpful, but we should never forget that leadership skills and attitudes can also be learned and cultivated. Every leader has strengths and weaknesses, so every leader has room to grow and learn.

Whether you are an aspiring leader, a seasoned leader, or even a reluctant leader, this list may be helpful to you as you consider ways to grow and become more effective. The list might also remind you of some of the things you're already pretty good at––reasons you should be leading.
1. You long to make a difference.

2 .You’re discontent and dissatisfied with the status quo.

3. You’re not waiting on a bigger staff or more resources to accomplish your vision.

4. Your dreams are so big they seem impossible.

5. You acknowledge what is but inevitably ask, “What could be?”

6. You realize that you don’t have to be in charge to have significant influence.

7. You refuse to blame others for your circumstances and take responsibility for finding solutions.

8. You foster unity by bringing people together and encouraging dialogue.

9. You are quick to say, “I messed up. Here’s what I am going to do to fix the problem I created.”

10. You value relationships more than tasks.

11. You walk your talk––not perfectly but sincerely and intentionally.
12. You are a learner. You read, listen to podcasts, attend conferences, and ask other leaders lots of questions.

1 comment:

  1. I have been following Hyatt since last fall. I am very eager to see his forthcoming book, as I am trying to get into the writing/self-publishing game, and I have been looking at best practices all around the internet and publishing world...and he has so many valuable best practices. I am not shy to admit that I mimicked his website/blog content structure when I revamped my own personal site, meggisi.org earlier this year.

    But beyond publishing stuff, what I have truly enjoyed has been his writing on leadership, organization, and life planning. On the leadership side, I can attest to 100% of what you wrote above, and what Hyatt has said too. Especially in the administration of "volunteer armies" finding people who are naturally and intrinsically driven to lead is much like panning for gold. The nuggets are lost among the rubble. Finding those golden nugget leaders means that such people already feel "called". It is an internal, intrinsic, contemplated pull towards service that only the individual can discern.

    But, like the "panning for gold" metaphor, such golden nugget leaders are extremely rare. Sometimes when looking for leaders you only come up with gold dust - the volunteers who are that "flash in the pan" that contribute, but don't necessarily lead with lasting value. I believe, as you do, that one doesn't have to have that innate ability to lead. So to learn and cultivate an ability to lead, we have to remain open to it. Those 12 points definitely should spark that interest in leading, and we should see that interest as a nudge to open the door.

    I came across this a lot when I was doing union work. Volunteers seemed plentiful, but finding volunteers who could be leaders...even in smaller leader roles...was hard. Oftentimes, I had to say to people, "OK. Why did you volunteer?" to which the response was commonly, "Well, I want to make a difference and help out, and I have some really cool ideas to contribute." To that I would say, "OK. Great! You are exactly the kind of person that could lead this group/committee/etc." I am happy that many of those people who needed that nudge kept opening the door, and now have become strong "golden nugget" leaders. Thanks for the good post, Dave!

    ReplyDelete