Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Tuesday Tome - Living with Jesus Today

Over the Memorial Day weekend, I finished reading Present Perfect, by Greg Boyd. This is the selection for a three-part book club I'm leading that begins tonight.

While reading Present Perfect, there were many times I was reminded of another book I read about twenty-five years ago.  The book, Living with Jesus Today, by Juan Carlos Ortiz, was very formative in my early Christian walk as an adult.

I first heard about the book at a conference where I had the opportunity to hear Ortiz preach a couple of times. His energy and passion and humor made me eager to read his book. Ortiz' writing style is very down to earth and has a tone and pace you might expect from a Pentecostal pastor from Argentina. Ortiz will always have a special place in my heart because he is the first preacher that ever really stirred my imagination and heart to consider how I could become more aware of God's presence and work in my life as an ordinary part of daily life.
Here is a brief excerpt from Living with Jesus Today:
Christ did not come to bring us a religion, but life. He came to be in a relationship with us. Jesus is a person, and I happen to have that person within me. He came, and He stays here. He said, "If you open to me I will come, and My Father with Me, and we will abide in you." There is nothing that we need to be more clear on than this. It is vital that we are not messed up on this point. We are the building of God and He is within us. Wherever we are, Christ is. If we are confused on this, we will never grow. (Living with Jesus, p. 52).
The book is no longer in print, but you may be able to find it from a used book seller.

I found a free PDF version online. If you'd like to have a copy of the pdf, just let me know and I'll send it to you. Just use the Contact Me link in the right column.

1 comment: