Tuesday, May 01, 2012

Tuesday Tomes - Fishing Books


I thought I was going to set a record with getting my boat out on Lake Johanna this year, but alas, cooler weather and a busy schedule have conspired together to keep me from getting on the water in April. I'm hoping this might be the week!

I enjoy fishing, but catching fish isn't my strongest motivation (and certainly not my most consistent reward) for going. I just like to get out into the quiet, to take in the beauty of nature, and maybe enjoy the company of a good friend or one of my sons or grandsons.

Books are also a wonderful way to slow down and a boat is a wonderful place to read. This summer, my fishing and reading experiences are going to overlap at least twice as my reading list includes: The Compleat Angler (by Izaak Walton) and A River Runs Through It (by Norman Maclean). Both books deal with life's big questions and the simple joys (virtues?) of angling. Maclean's River is set in early 20th century and centers around the life and values of a Presbyterian family in Montana. Walton's Angler, which has been in print for nearly 350 years, serves as a primer on the art of fishing and a pastoral meditation on friendship, life, and morality.

If you've read either of these books and have any comments, I would be glad to hear from you. I'd also be interested in hearing about any good fishing holes near the Twin Cities.

6 comments:

  1. First, as my father always said, "There is nothing in the definition of the word 'fishing' that says one is *required* to catch fish!" And though I think his words were most applicable to assure his sons and friends who were quick to complain when the creel or stringer was empty, I now can understand a broader meaning :-)

    Second, "A River Runs Through It" made it to the big screen under the direction of Robert Redford just as I was arriving in Montana myself for school. It is a beautiful movie, and the acting by Tom Skeritt and Brad Pitt, in particular, is pretty wonderful. But people I knew who (1) were Montanans and (2) had read McClean's original book, said the movie didn't do either of them justice. You are in for a treat.

    Third, I know we will talk soon about several other fishing holes around the metro. Even some quiet ones! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kris - Did you do any fly fishing while you were in Montana?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a friend show me the basics once, but I never got my own rig and flies. I did lots of stream fishing for trout, mainly on the rivers that came out of the Beartooth/Absoraka range and also the Bighorn, but I used spinning gear with small Mepps spinners. I had pretty good luck, but never as good (it seemed) as those who were very adept with flies! I keep intending to get a fly rig, as you can use it for lots of stuff around here too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "A River Runs Through It" is a fantastic read. It has taken me a few years to understand why Fly Fishing has become an obsession with me and this book iterates many of my feelings.

    Life brings many challenges to each of us and my passion for fly fishing has given me the ability to peacefully put some of those in perspective. When I am standing in the water I am at one with my life.

    God gave us this unbelievable beauty to use in our lives and as I grow older I am coming to understand that more and more. The beauty of the mountains and waters is remarkable. It gives me peace.

    I have had the opportunity to stand in and fish the water that Tom, Brad and Craig fished. The movie was set in the area and depicts that water as the Blackfoot River near Missoula MT but in reality they are fishing the Gallatin River between Big Sky and West Yellowstone MT. I can't wait to go back next year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Dan. Thinking of you fly fishing always puts a smile on my face. I'm so glad you get to do that! And so glad you appreciate it so deeply.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't like fishing until I got into fly fishing.

    ReplyDelete