Friday, December 27, 2013

Friday Favorites - Lefse


Lefse is one of my favorite treats during the holiday season. When I was a child growing up in Nebraska, we would frequently get a package of lefse around Christmas time from one of my dad's Norwegian aunts who lived in Wisconsin. Like many cherished holiday traditions and foods, the love and appreciation starts when your a kid.

Lefse isn't just for the holidays, but that seems like the time when I'm most likely to get some. I have a few lefse-making friends who are nice enough to pass along a little to me whenever they cook up a batch. If one of those friends is reading this blog post right now, wouldn't today be a good time to heat up your griddle? Call me!

Lefse is a bland but tasty Scandinavian potato flat-bread. It's great rolled up with a simple spread, sweet or savory. It's also a nice way roll up lots of other great things as an alternative to a sandwich. I love to roll up leftovers from the big holiday meals.

I've made lefse a few times, and it came out pretty good. I don't, however, have the official lefse iron the pros all tell me I need to really do it right. If you would like to give making lefse a try, here is a link to some scratch and short-cut recipes. If you're not ready to try making it, but would like to taste it, you can buy it in some Twin Cities grocery stores. Two places I can usually find it are Byerly's and Ingebretsen's.

God Jul to Everyone!


No comments:

Post a Comment