Monday, January 16, 2012

Monday Music - March on Washington 1963

Pictured above is Dr. Martin Luther King's visit to the University of Minnesota St. Paul Campus in 1967. You can read more about that visit here. The building you can see in the background is the former Lutheran Student Center on Cleveland Ave. The event was held on the park/lawn just across the street from where I had my office during my years as a campus pastor at the U of M. Incidentally, if the photographer had turned to the left about 90º, the house that now serves as the MacLaurinCSF Center would have been in the background.

Below are links to the the folk music performed at the 1963 March on Washington. I was seven years old at that time, but I can still remember the impact of that music and how I felt as I heard it. The music of Peter, Paul, and Mary is about the only secular music I remember my parents having in our house. I believe I wore that album out.



Martin Luther King Jr. - "I Have a Dream" Speech


Bob Dylan, Joan Baez and others...

No comments:

Post a Comment