Monday, October 22, 2012

Monday Music - Upright Bass Hobby

The more I listen to my kids play country roots, blues, and swing with The Cactus Blossoms, the more I've thought it might be fun to learn how to play an upright double-bass. I've decided to make this my hobby project now that we're headed toward winter.

I went online to see what was available on Craigslist and found a Stagg upright electric double-bass for a good price and decided it might be a good starter instrument. If and when I get good enough at it and have opportunities to play, I'll think about getting the real thing. In the meantime, this will be easier to store and carry around.

It's time to put the fishing boat and lawn mower into storage, and it's time to start playing bass. Another benefit to this instrument is that I can practice with headphones, so Cheri doesn't have to listen to me making lots of mistakes.

2 comments: