Tuesday, October 02, 2012

Tuesday Tome - Four Holy Gospels Bible

As a Christian, I'm very interested in The Four Holy Gospels project. I love the arts and I care about culture. I really like Makoto Fujimura's work and I'm looking forward to seeing this Bible.

When I first heard about it, my first response was that I'd like to have a copy of it. A lack of funds makes that unlikely, but more importantly, I'll admit to having serious reservations about the project in general. Something about it doesn't sit right in my gut.

What are the philosophical implications of making illuminated texts. Why have people chosen to illuminate texts in extravagant ways, and does such extravagant illumination add a layer of meaning/message? If so, does that added meaning enhance or diminish the text? How do the the motives for the Four Holy Gospels illumination compare with other illumination projects, both ancient and contemporary? What is accomplished by these illuminations?

Is the authentic nature and purpose of the text rightly served by such a project? Is the result a piece of art or is it a Bible? Should the Bible be turned into a work of art? Is this appropriate? Does doing so make the Bible more approachable or less approachable? More compelling or less compelling?

Are the realities and underpinnings of the contemporary art scene so removed from the ethics and values of Jesus that such a project is ultimately antithetical to the heart of the Gospel? Would Jesus buy this book? Would he want his followers to buy this book?

What is the motivation for this project? Who will be profiting from this project? Is this about art and personal expression? Is this for those who love Scripture or those who love art? Which of those loves compels a person to buy this book?

Is this project an attempt at cultural relevance or cultural influence? Is such an attempt authentic, effective, or misguided? Does this project communicate a position of power or weakness? Is this about publishing, marketing, and money, or is it about proclaiming, sharing, and sacrifice? Will it serve an elite and wealthy few, or will it serve to better all of humankind?

I'm conflicted. Honestly, I think my doubts are overshadowing my enthusiasm.



Copied from Press Release by Crossway Publishing:
Renowned artist and writer Makoto Fujimura is not shy about the importance of his latest project. “Whether I like it or not, this is what I will be remembered by,” Fujimura asserts. “I don’t think it’s an overstatement to say that it is a commission of the decade, if not more,” says Valerie Dillon, whose Dillon Gallery is Fujimura’s main exhibitor.

The commission is an illuminated manuscript published by Crossway, to commemorate the four hundred year anniversary of The King James Bible, set to be released January 2011. The leather-bound English Standard Version of the Bible, printed with a six-color metallic process, will comprise the four Gospels as designed and illustrated by Fujimura.

Five major new works, painted in the artist’s Manhattan studio, will be the volume’s main images, making this the first such manuscript to feature abstract contemporary art in lieu of traditional representational illustrations. It is this unprecedented marriage of a modern, usually secular art form with ancient scripture that most interests Fujimura, who aims to depict “the greater reality that the Bible speaks of… for the pure sake of integrating faith and art in our current pluralistic, multicultural world.”

1 comment:

  1. Well, just the press release alone kills it for me. What's up with the artist's quote, "Whether I like it or not, this is what I will be remembered by"? I mean, come on Fujimura. Your agent is quoted saying, "I don’t think it’s an overstatement to say that it is a commission of the decade, if not more," but you seem pretty nonplussed.

    Promo fail. Oh, and yeah, those prices are a bit much. Seems to me some rich people threw together some money to get a showpiece for their living rooms commissioned. And the project, from some of the commentary on the video, seems to be a "Ah ha, you evangelicals and conservatives! We commissioned this really contemporary artist to show you a thing or two!" type of endeavor. Not sure that is the best pitch, either.

    ReplyDelete