Tuesday, April 01, 2014

Tuesday Tome - Birds of Minnesota

The arrival of spring means the return of birds and birdwatching. Regular visitors to my neighborhood include cardinals, house finches, sparrows, gold finches, hummingbirds, turtle doves, chickadees, nuthatches, red-bellied and downy woodpeckers, juncos, and orioles. Whenever I see a bird I don't recognize, I reach for my Birds of Minnesota Field Guide to see if I can figure out what type of bird it is.

This field guide by Stan Tekiela is perfect for amateurs like me. It only includes the most common birds of Minnesota (just over a hundred) and organizes them by color instead of name or species classification. So when I spot a bird I've never seen, I just note the bird's color, grab the field guide, go to the section for that color, and then flip through the pages of photos until I find a match.

If, like me, you enjoy watching birds but you're a novice at identifying them, this little book is just what you need. It's great for kids too. Cheri and I have certainly had fun looking up birds with our grandsons. Sometimes, they just grab the book for the fun of looking at all the wonderful pictures.

Publisher's Book Description:
Learn about and identify birds using Stan Tekiela's state-by-state field guides. The full-page, color photos are incomparable and include insets of winter plumage, color morphs and more. Plus, with the easy-to-use format, you don't need to know a bird's name or classification in order to easily find it in the book. Using this field guide is a real pleasure. It's a great way for anyone to learn about the birds in your state.

No comments:

Post a Comment