Thursday, December 08, 2011

Thursday Thinking - Communication Tools

Making a PowerPoint presentation has become a normal part of my weekly sermon preparation. This was something new for me when I began my ministry at Valley Christian Church in 2007. At first it seemed like an extraneous burden and it felt like more work than it was worth. With time, however, I've come to value PowerPoint as a helpful tool.

Working to make good PowerPoint presentations has actually helped me write better sermons. Learning to use PowerPoint effectively has made me a better communicator by helping me speak without notes, move around the stage, and look directly into the eyes of my audience.

All that said, there may be some other creative alternatives to PowerPoint that I have yet to consider. The TED Talks video below, sent to me by my good friend Rob Miller, opens up a whole new world of possibilities for how I might enhance the delivery of my sermons. Watch it and you'll be amazed, and I think it would be pretty amazing to preach a sermon this way.

Dancing as an alternative to PowerPoint is a bold and fantastic idea, but there's honestly no way I could manage it on a weekly basis. On the other hand, if Rob and a few others from my congregation are ready to put on their dancing tights, I'm more than willing to give it a shot every once in a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment