Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Tuesday Tome - That Distant Land

My introduction to the writing of Wendell Berry began about five years ago when I started reading his poetry. Last year I began reading his his fiction and have become an ardent admirer.

First, I read his novel, Jayber Crow, the life story of the barber in Port William "told in his own words." I loved the book so much that I felt sad the day I finished it. I wanted a few more chapters. I wanted to know more about the people, times, and places in and around Port William (a farming community Berry has imagined into the hills and history of Kentucky). I can't tell you how excited I was to discover he had written a whole collection of Port William books! I'm now taking a slow but steady journey through them all. I'll be taking my sweet time and savoring every page of the trip.

Last week I spent ninety of the most enjoyable minutes I've had in recent weeks reading That Distant Land, a collection of Port William short stories. The story I read was "Pray without Ceasing." It recounts the sad events surrounding the murder of the narrator's great-grandfather, Ben Feltner. The story is less about murder than about the human condition. In the end it's a testament of the power grace has to turn tragedy toward humility, healing, thankfulness, and maturity.

If you're interested in joining me in reading the books of Wendell Berry, Jayber Crow and That Distant Land are two good places to start. I'd recommend reading "Pray without Ceasing" (from That Distant Land) as a helpful introduction. It's short enough to be a quick read, but long enough to give you a real sense of Berry's depth and genius.

1 comment:

  1. I bought Jayber Crow for my mom and my sister-in-law for Christmas, based on your reviews alone and despite not having read it yet myself. I will be rectifying that in 2012.

    ReplyDelete