Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Wednesday Words - Angels I Have Heard

Angels I Have Heard
I was down and on my front porch,
I said, "God are you still there?
Well, I need to know you better...
I guess this is a prayer."

And I swear that in the silence
I could hear the Savior say,
"If you seek me you will find me;
If you look, I'll show the way."

And I'm sure that there were angels-
Angels in the sky,
Angels I could hear on high.

I was bruised and I was battered;
I was tryin' to serve the Lord-
Tryin' to live by faith in Jesus,
But I was dyin' by the sword.

On the road to Minneapolis,
I said, "Jesus tell me why?"
I could feel Him in my sorrow,
I was sure He heard my cry.

And I knew that there were angels-
Angels in the sky,
Angels I could hear on high.

Peace in every earthly test.
Good will! On you God's favor rests.

When my weary overtakes me,
When the dark of night descends,
When I'm lonely as a shepherd
In the hills of Bethlehem.

I think back and I remember
Another night alone out there
When a great light filled the heavens,
Shouts of glory in the air.

Yes, I think about those angels,
Angels in the sky,
Angels I have heard on high.

From the If I Close My Eyes album, words & music by Dave Burkum (1995).

1 comment:

  1. One of my favorites. Even though I know the lyrics, I've always only heard, "Good will, on you, God's favorites." I think I tie the line to the shepherd in the next verse, who is on the verge of receiving a personal visit.

    ReplyDelete