Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Tuesday Tome - Mere Christianity

A couple of months ago I was talking with someone about Mere Christianity by C. S. Lewis. As we talked, I realized that it has been quite some time (too much time) since the last time I read that much-loved and much-quoted classic. And so, I've decided to read it again and make it the selected book for my next Pastor's Book Club at Valley Christian Church.

We'll be meeting to discuss the book on three nights:
Tuesday, January 31 - Discussing first two sections.
Tuesday, February 21 - Discussing section three.
Tuesday, March 13 - Discussing section four.

I invite you to read the book with me. Occasionally, I'll be posting quotations from and comments about the book here on Altered Faces (Tome Tuesdays and Word Wednesdays). Your comments are welcomed. If you live in the Twin Cities, please consider joining us for our book club discussions. Contact and location information can be found at valleycc.org.

Publisher's Description of the book:
Mere Christianity is the most popular of C. S. Lewis' works of nonfiction, with several million copies sold worldwide. Heard first as radio addresses and then published as three separate books--The Case for Christianity, Christian Behavior, and Beyond Personality--this book brings together Lewis' legendary broadcast talks of the war years, talks in which he set out simply to "explain and defend the belief that has been common to nearly all Christians at all times." It is a collection of scintillating brilliance which remains strikingly fresh for the modern reader, and which confirms C. S. Lewis's reputation as one of the leading Christian writers and thinkers of our age.

2 comments:

  1. I'm up for a re-read. If I remember correctly, however, this is one work of Lewis' that has not held up well (in spite of its apparent continued popularity)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it holds up quite well in many respects. It is dated, as we would expect anything to be that was written on a popular level a half-century ago. Some of Lewis' simple metaphors are still very thought-provoking and helpful. I think it deserves its "classic" status and should spark some good conversation. I feel the same way about Chesterton's book, "Orthodoxy."

    ReplyDelete