Thursday, December 15, 2011

Thursday Thinking - John Polkinghorne

John Polkinghorne is both a physicist and a theologian. He's also just a lovely and decent human being. He's brilliant and winsome. He is able to talk about big and complicated things in down-to-earth ways. I've found so many of his ideas to be helpful to me in my own faith as I try to sort through issues of being, science, reason, theology, and belief.

BioLogos Forum has recently posted a short video and transcript entitled John Polkinghorne in a Nutshell. It's a nice little introduction to Polkinghorne, his work, and his philosophy of life. Here is a quotation from that transcript...
Everybody has to make a commitment beyond what they know for certain to be true. I would define faith as commitment to well motivated belief, accepting the consequences of that, not only for my intellectual attitude to the world, but also the way I live my life.
If you'd like to hear more, I would also recommend Krista Tippett's interview of Polkinghorne on her thought-provoking radio program, On Being (American Public Media).

Here is a link to that interview and transcript.

You can check out John Polkinghorne books HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment